Mindfulness and meditation create a space between life situations and our compulsive reactions to them. Cultivating presence facilitates mastery over time and our inner space, regardless of outer circumstances. This intentional shift towards inner wellbeing brings increased effectiveness, clarity, focus, resilience, creativity and presence. It allows us to enjoy life’s flow as it unfolds, reducing reactivity and anxiety, helping us respond more effectively to circumstances.
Productivity is inversely correlated with reactivity and directly correlated with happiness. Training the mind and its habits of attention is crucial to be effective in every area of life.
Researched benefits of Mindfulness and Meditation include:
- Stress Reduction
- Better Problem Solving + Decision Making (improved executive brain function)
- Reduced Inner Criticism
- More Focus
- Better Sleep
- Reduced Anxiety
- Better Health
- More Creativity
- Slower Aging
- Better Cognitive Function and Memory
- Reduced Addictive Behaviors
- Increased Presence
- Increased Flow
- Increased Equanimity
- Increased Feeling of Connectedness, Empathy and Compassion
- Increased Acceptance of Self and External Circumstances
While your own experience is the most important testament to the benefits of meditation, overwhelming scientific evidence substantiates the experienced benefits of meditation.
The meditative brain experiences increase Alpha, Theta and Delta states, formation of new beneficial neural networks, reduced activity in the primitive reptilian parts of the brain and increased coherence between hemispheres. Benefits even linger past the time spent in meditation.
Further, different types of meditation provide different benefits, which is why one size doesn’t fit all, and meditative tools must be personalized to best suit your needs.
Scientific Papers and Studies
- 8 Weeks to a Better Brain – Harvard
- What meditation can do for our mind, mood and health – Harvard
- Meditation Reduces Mind Wandering – Stanford
- Moving Beyond Mindfulness – Harvard
- How Meditation Benefits CEOs- Harvard Business Review
- Meditation Increases Sustained Attention – Psychological Science
- Meditation Makes You More Creative – Science Daily
- Meditation’s Benefits on Emotions Persist – Harvard
- What happens to the Brain When You Meditate
- Meditation and Neuroplasticity – 5 Key Articles
- How the Brain Works In Meditation – University of Oslo
- Your Brain On Meditation – Psychology Today
- Meditation States and Traits – University of Southern California
- Neuroscience of Mindfulness Meditation – Chopra Center
- Transcendental Meditation and Addiction – Maharishi University
- Meditation can make you more creative – Univ. of Leiden
- Mind the Trap – Mindfulness Reduces Cognitive Rigidity
- Improving Creativity Performance by Short Term Meditation